Pinwheel Sweater Along

A knitterly get together for anyone knitting Shelley Mackie's pinwheel sweater. Are you in? E-mail me to join ;0)

Monday, July 10, 2006

Confessions and recovery.

Ok. My confession: I didn't do a gauge swatch. I know, I know. I always do a gauge swatch. I work at a yarn store and tell people daily to do a gauge swatch. I tend to have a teeny tiny bit less sympathy for those with big sweater problems who went without a gauge swatch. SO. It's all my fault. Scratch yesterdays sad, sad post. No sympathy for me. No gauge swatch, no sympathy.
Thank goodness for those measurements that Shelley emailed me. I was able to measure the back (now that some of my circular needles freed up part of my super big circle) and I ended up measuring 34'' instead of the 43/44'' that I'm supposed to come up with. How in the world did that happen, you might ask? Well, #1) No gauge swatch. #2) I'm a tight knitter - I knew this going into this. Somehow I thought that my "magic Addi Turbos" would loosen me up and fix everything...... Silly, silly me.
So. I'm ripping back. I plan to do a bit more in between yos and then do a bunch more for the garter edge. It's okay. I don't have any a other projects that need finishing and no other yarn that wants to be knitted (I'm kidding!).
Well, there's one good thing to come out of this.... I might not be quite as huge as I felt last night after trying on this sweater. I thought "God, I know the "girls" are big with milk and I still have "making baby" fat from the pregnancy, but....." Well when the sweater is 8-10'' smaller than it's supposed to be....
Moral of the story: Do a stinkin' gauge swatch....
PS: The cold beer helped wonders.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda said...

Looks like you're good-to-knit-now. *smile*

9:46 AM  
Blogger Anny said...

I guess I'll knit a swatch too...
Thanks for the tip ;0)

7:27 PM  
Blogger Fun Knits said...

Isn't that what all sweaters are a swatch. I am bad for not doing swatches too. Oh well now you are on the right track.
Shelley

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home