Pinwheel Sweater Along

A knitterly get together for anyone knitting Shelley Mackie's pinwheel sweater. Are you in? E-mail me to join ;0)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Well, I started mine!


Hello! I started the pinwheel jacket-but I am not doing the stripes. Don't get me wrong- if my stash had something I could use to make stripes-I would. However, I went stash diving and found.......drum roll please............some black Filatura di Crosa 127 print. If you are not familiar with this beautifully soft yarn, it has rather subtle self striping effect-lots of main colour, and short stripes of about 10 colours all mixed up together. And this is what I have so far......
Isn't it purty? Now- I have a few balls of the same yarn in burgundy, in red and in deep lilac-I could use one of the colours to accent the collar. What do you think? I do think I might match the colours in the stripey bits and use solids (maybe Mission Falls 1824 wool) to make the icord trim. I think that would set it off. Right? Right. I will have to play with the location of the sleeves, however. I am a bigger girl, and I hate clothes that don't fit. (I also believe that just because it fits does not mean one should wear it) I am familiar with design- I have designs on Knitty, in "Big Girl Knits", in "New Knits on the Block", and soon to have one in "No Sheep For You"(this is the tentative title- could change). But opinions are very welcome. Off I go to knit some more......

6 Comments:

Blogger Anny said...

Wow! Deb, I love how it's looking with the self-striping yarn. Now you've got me thinking about some Noro Silverthaw in my stash!

Hmmm...

8:10 p.m.  
Blogger Deb said...

Anny- GO FOR IT!!!! Silver Thaw would make a a really lovely wrap/sweater- imagine it in the late fall!!!!!!!!

11:28 a.m.  
Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh thats going to be nice, Deb! I`ve placed my yarn order with KnitPicks. I sure hope the combo of colors I picked, works! When the order comes in, I`ll post a picture. Here's to happy knitting. [I might not get mine started for another week or 2.]

1:46 p.m.  
Blogger Samantha said...

That's gorgeous! I was thinking about doing it in a solid colour too ... not self striping. You've got me thinking though. :)

5:54 p.m.  
Blogger Dove Knits said...

Ahhh, that looks great already!

11:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi--I just started mine in Noro Silver Thaw, and so far, so good. I had made a similar pattern from a Noro pattern book, starting from the outside with big needles and working in with smaller and smaller needles, without any decreases, and the effect was gorgeous--but it didn't fit me. Fortunately it fit my smaller SIL. The sleeves started in the center of the circle, whereas in this pattern they start further up, which I like better.
With the Silver Thaw on size 9 needles my gauge is 4 st/inch, so to get sleeves that are wide enough i figure I'll start them at 34 stitches instead of 30 between increases and see how that goes.

8:11 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home