Pinwheel Sweater Along

A knitterly get together for anyone knitting Shelley Mackie's pinwheel sweater. Are you in? E-mail me to join ;0)

Monday, July 24, 2006

Time out!

It was all going so well. The colours were coming together as I had hoped. It was fun and quick to knit. My "knit the sleeve stitches on a scrap piece of yarn, pop them back on the right needle and knit them again with the working yarn" technique worked fantastically well for the sleeves so that I didn't have to find a stitch holder nor fuss with a provisional cast-on.

Pinwheel edging

Even the 17 million i-cords for the loopy edging came together mostly painlessly. I was able to unpick the scrap yarn for my sleeve stitches quickly and easily and even found the right DPNs to start knitting the sleeves. Then about 2 thirds of the way up the first sleeve, I noticed it...

Pinwheel sleeve

...the sleeve shaping is on the wrong side! You see the intended giftee is 3 years old so will only be wearing it on the "big girl" side and the way I have the sleeve shaping worked out, the ecreases are lined up across the top of the sleeve - and they’re not so neat! I have no idea what to do about it. Should I just keep going and hope that blocking will neaten it up and make it acceptable? Or should I let her rip? I decided to put her away for now while I compose myself and plan my exit strategy ;0)

So the whole thing is going to the naughty pile for a while.

Mommy needs a time-out ;0)

3 Comments:

Blogger stripedsocks19 said...

Oh boy, that's a tough one. Unfortunately I think that only you can make the final call. I think that it should be okay, but if it's going to drive you nuts, well, riprip. But the "timeout" in the naughty pile sounds like a good idea for the timebeing. My pinwheel came out of my naughty pile for the first time in a while..... It looks beautiful even in her naughtiness! -Jessica

9:12 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

Hi Anne, if the sleeve still bothers you ... frog ... it's not a lot, nope, nope, nope, we do it all the time right? At least it's a child sleeve! Then redo with the starting point on the other side of the sleeve so that your decreases are on the other side. I would also put in a ribbing at the bottom of the sleeve [but lower than the pattern calls for due to the fact the child is already larger] and this will give a snug fit at the wrist. That's what I'd do anyway. Good luck!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Mindy said...

I did the same thing. I'm hoping that they will block out. It is entirely too hot here to rip on the thing now. Maybe mine should go in the naughty pile as well!

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home