Pinwheel Sweater Along

A knitterly get together for anyone knitting Shelley Mackie's pinwheel sweater. Are you in? E-mail me to join ;0)

Monday, July 24, 2006

Time out!

It was all going so well. The colours were coming together as I had hoped. It was fun and quick to knit. My "knit the sleeve stitches on a scrap piece of yarn, pop them back on the right needle and knit them again with the working yarn" technique worked fantastically well for the sleeves so that I didn't have to find a stitch holder nor fuss with a provisional cast-on.

Pinwheel edging

Even the 17 million i-cords for the loopy edging came together mostly painlessly. I was able to unpick the scrap yarn for my sleeve stitches quickly and easily and even found the right DPNs to start knitting the sleeves. Then about 2 thirds of the way up the first sleeve, I noticed it...

Pinwheel sleeve

...the sleeve shaping is on the wrong side! You see the intended giftee is 3 years old so will only be wearing it on the "big girl" side and the way I have the sleeve shaping worked out, the ecreases are lined up across the top of the sleeve - and they’re not so neat! I have no idea what to do about it. Should I just keep going and hope that blocking will neaten it up and make it acceptable? Or should I let her rip? I decided to put her away for now while I compose myself and plan my exit strategy ;0)

So the whole thing is going to the naughty pile for a while.

Mommy needs a time-out ;0)

1 Comments:

Blogger Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Hi Anne, if the sleeve still bothers you ... frog ... it's not a lot, nope, nope, nope, we do it all the time right? At least it's a child sleeve! Then redo with the starting point on the other side of the sleeve so that your decreases are on the other side. I would also put in a ribbing at the bottom of the sleeve [but lower than the pattern calls for due to the fact the child is already larger] and this will give a snug fit at the wrist. That's what I'd do anyway. Good luck!

10:29 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home